Monday, February 26, 2007

Trusting God (Part One)

Not that long ago, I spent ten months abroad, as patrons of my last blog will already be aware. I’d been asked if I was interested in working with a church in West Norway and, having prayed about it, I felt that God had plans among those fjords that He wanted me to be involved in. So I crossed over the North Sea to Arna, a small town just the other side of the mountains from Bergen. Arna is, like Norway in general, a pretty good-looking place, especially to an Englishman's eyes. Granted, it will never be a dream holiday destination for the individual who doesn't appreciate constant rain, but - putting that to one side - the surroundings are stunning. They afford one of the great benefits of life among the mountains and fjords: the feeling of living in a scene from Lord of the Rings.

There was a lot of scenery to take in on my first day, as I was driven from the airport to meet the youth group, the church, the people I'd be living and working with, and the family who were giving me a place to live. There were thoughts flying around in my head and, beginning in a state of disorientation, I was steadily coming around to a pressing apprehension. Between leaving my home to fly to a foreign country, being introduced to endless new faces and considering with increasing frequency that maybe I wasn't called to or cut out for this, I was having serious doubts by the time I got back to my room. I saw a youth group with an incredibly talented and committed team leading them and I felt like it would be hard enough to make a significant contribution in such company, even if I spoke the native language. The feeling that I'd made a mistake was getting stronger the more I considered it, until I became near enough convinced that I needed to get right out of Norway as soon as the opportunity arose. I thought about friends back at home; one in particular, who I was sure would give me good, strong advice to return to London. It was a massive effort not to ring and receive that encouragement to go.

But there was one thing that made me decide to stay and give it a try; the reason I came to Arna in the first place was that God spoke to me. If He'd sent me to Norway, then He must have had a reason for sending me, and just because the reason hadn't become apparent in the first few hours of my being there, it didn't give me any good reason to doubt Him.

The Bible says that 'faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ', which means that once we've heard, our faith should have arrived. Hearing should be the hardest part; upon finding out what God is saying, what other option is a reasonable alternative to trusting Him? Too often, though, people like me take their eyes off the things God has told them and focus on their own circumstances. But circumstances have nothing to do with faith. In fact, 'faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.' Look at Abraham, one of the great Heroes of Faith: God made a promise to this wandering, childless, old man that his descendants would be countless. And even though his wife had long since exceeded her child-bearing date, even though the nature of the promise - one which could never be fulfilled in his lifetime - meant it was about as far away from the reality of his circumstances as could be, Abraham trusted God.

Of course, he never got to witness the full realisation of what God told him, but he did see the first fruits - his son, Isaac, who
fathered Jacob, whose sons were the beginnings of the tribes of Israel. The Bible says that people like Abraham 'died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.'

While I may have felt like a a stranger when I arrived in Norway, I didn't have to wait a lifetime to see God prove His word to me. And that encourages me in times when I can't see clear purpose in my life; I know that if I just rest my weight on what Jesus is saying, then I will receive the promises, sooner or later.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan that is a great Blog. And i've realised we don't know much about what happened in Norway for you. So i look forward to further insights. God is really shaking our church at the moment to really put our faith in him, so good stuff. Another thought, I was reading Exodus 31v1-11 yesterday and it jumped out to me that God has filled us not just with the spirit but with our skills, abilities and knowledge for a purpose. So look to how you are wired, because he has done it for a reason. Take care mate and keep on blogging.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:00:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEIA
I'M SO GLAD YOU STAYED!
M

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:54:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, you're a legend. Thank you for sharing your heart.

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again: you have a way with words. Whatever you end up doing, make sure it involves some sort of word-craft.

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:10:00 pm  
Blogger Charlie Radmore said...

Hey Dan,
well what can i say its been a pleasure reading your blog again. Just to say can you keep the 21st April free cause ive arranged to go laser mayhem for my birthday. i shall contact you with further details soon!
Charlie
btw just about to write on my blog for the first time!!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:15:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the others. You have a way with words, Dan! Hope your mothercountry is treating you well=)

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:42:00 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

My friends! I'm sorry I've neglected not only my blog but your kind comments for such a long time. I'm going to make an effort to pay more attention to the blog from now on.

Rach, that's a good point. I think sometimes we almost have a mindset that God probably wants us to do something that we won't enjoy or that we'll struggle to finish. But that doesn't make sense in the economics of the Kingdom - usually we can do the most for Him by investing our greatest talents, we just have to work out what they are... I have been thinking about how I'm wired lately - since I read your comment - but I get quite cross-eyed. I think I need to think again.

Thanks, Marthe, I'm glad I stayed too!

Cheers Tim, that is something I'd love, actually. But it's a hard field to get into, I'll see how it goes...

Charlie: the date is in the diary! But where's your post? I checked out your blog (quality title, by the way, brilliantly ironic - if and when you actually write something) but there's still nothing there - get to it!

And thank you too, Kristen. Yeah, England is treating me well, but I do miss Norway too. But I'll be paying a visit in the Spring, probably some time around Konfirmasjon Sunday, so I can see JH Livden get done!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:46:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home