Saturday, January 13, 2007

Progress

I am not a person who rushes making big decisions. I don't think this is true for everyone, but in my life a fairly significant choice will have to be made, on average, about once a year. My reaction is pretty consistent every time; I decide to take some time to pray, I pray, and then I fester. I wait for ages, partly pondering, partly hoping that the decision will be made for me. I think I know some of the reasons for this behaviour, but that's a whole other post right there. The point is, I don't make the big decisions in a hurry.

So when I chose to return from Arna to England in the summer, it was with a conviction that it was the right thing to do - that God had some way in which I could be useful to Him here. But that isn't really the way it's gone down so far; since September I've probably experienced the least productive four months of my adult life. I don't want to go into detail or try and analyse it here, but it's fair to say that the blogosphere hasn't been missing a great deal in my absence.

Adaptation, a film written by Charlie Kaufman, is (in part) a dramatisation of the writer's struggles in adapting the screenplay of the film, from a book about orchids. At one point, when Kaufman is at his most overwhelmed, despairing at his lack of productivity and inability to focus, he has a vision in which the author's photo on the dust cover of The Orchid Thief starts speaking to him. Like some kind of Native American spirit guide, but in hardback form, she counsels him, helping him see how to move forward. She makes him realise that he needs to draw his focus away from the situation as a whole and focus on the smaller issues, one at a time.

And that's sort of how things worked out for me. I didn't get a mystic vision from the bookcase but, one by one, things have begun to fall into order. Relationships that had depreciated in my time abroad have revived, thanks to the support of old friends. Tim and Vikki's wedding helped me to see again how valuable my family are - especially my parents, brothers and new sister. I've also managed to come by steady employment, a house to live in that's near my new place of work and a car to travel between the former and the latter.

It's a good start, and quite a leap from my situation a month ago. I still can't see too much of the path ahead, but I am looking forward to walking it, which is not something I've been able to say with confidence for a while.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan it's great to read your blogs and hear your honesty of how God is doing stuff in you. We've really enjoyed catching up with you over this summer and you have certainly been a blessing to us in that time - so it was not all in vain.
Glad to hear you've set up on this new job and we look forward to hearing more. Keep the blogs coming.

Sunday, January 14, 2007 7:39:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello mate, good to read your blog again. lovely to hear that you've got a new job! keep us updated...:) norway

Monday, January 15, 2007 8:25:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It´s really inspiering to read this, Dan. I have mutch to learn.. The next step is importent. Thanks for shering, mate!

Klem fra elisabeth

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 1:18:00 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

Rach, thanks mate. You and Lee definitely come under the heading of good old friends. It's been really great spending time with you, and I don't think that's just because of the Scrubs...

I will keep you updated, Marthe, although this job is SINNSYK travelt. If I manage to post on the job, expect to hear about my war on mice. Or if I post on my house.

Whose next step are you talking about, Elisabeth? Thanks for the encouragement, even though I know you don't have as much to learn as you think you do! Klem.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 6:37:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hum.. does that mean that you can work and earn a lot of money so you can come and visit us again soon?;) jaja. bra jobba, Dan!
You know what? I just discovered that Rudi Myntvik (You know, him who wrote Gud din Skjønnhet?) has moved to England. And he lives in Loughton! heiane.
vi snakkes, mate!

Sunday, January 21, 2007 6:19:00 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

That is very weird. Just after you all left London, Tim told me a couple called Rudi and Raya (or something) had come to Vineyard, in Loughton. I dropped him a Norwegian text on my brother's phone. But they haven't been around lately, I hear. I wonder why they're in Loughton and which church they're at...?

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:39:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rudi og Ragnhild kanskje? his website says "a village near Epping Forrest." (A shame we didn't take a walk there by the way). oioi, when things like this happens the world feels so small.. know what I mean? wierd. yes indeed.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 9:35:00 pm  
Blogger Tim Lovell said...

They're over to study at East 15, which is a local drama college. Apparently the Norse, who aren't usually noted for their love of drama, have the 2nd most widely used playwright in the world (behind Bill Shakespeare of course). I'll be blown if I can remember his name though.

I looked at his site, and I'd say I was 93% certain that it's him. I'll have to look out for him.

Klem. (?)

Thursday, January 25, 2007 12:58:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could be Ibsen?

Thursday, January 25, 2007 6:19:00 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

Ibsen is correct, anonymous - but who are you?

Friday, January 26, 2007 12:04:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, you're a great writer. And don't you forget it.

Good to see you more around the Ichthus scene (if one can call it that).

Tim

Saturday, January 27, 2007 4:37:00 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

Thanks mate, that's encouraging.

I was just about to ask if you're ever going to come back to the blogs but - quickly checking - I see you just got back on!

Welcome back...

Friday, February 02, 2007 9:42:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hallo dan the man..
kommer det en ny blog her inne snart? det hadde vert stas.
helsing frå marthe

Sunday, February 04, 2007 2:50:00 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

Det kommer snart, kompis... Det har vært en veldig travelt uken for meg. Men eg har litt fritid i morgen, kanskje eg kan skrive noen for dåkkar.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 4:56:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vi ser frem til en ny blogg:D

Monday, February 05, 2007 11:04:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ja hurra, det liker vi!

Friday, February 09, 2007 4:58:00 pm  
Blogger Tim Lovell said...

THIS IS NOT A DANISH BLOG, OR A SWEDISH ONE OR WHATEVER THE HECK YOU SCANDANAVIANS ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!

ENGLISH PLEASE.

Just because all you Scandanavians have had a happy childhood doesn't mean that you should go around speaking in foreign all the time. (An explanation of my rant can be found here

Thursday, February 15, 2007 12:20:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

err... you're just jealous...

Sunday, February 18, 2007 12:30:00 pm  
Blogger Anita said...

Hey!
I have made my own blogg now! (sorry, but it's in norwegian..)

Snakkes!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:32:00 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

Chillax, everybody - this is a blog of peace, not aggro. Tim, I'm afraid you'll have to get used to a bit of dual language action from time to time. KLEM!

Anita, I will add you to my list of blogfriends imminently.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:08:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home